Held each fall, Entrepreneurs Week is a series of workshops focused on educating and guiding startup and experienced entrepreneurs. Here is this year’s speaker lineup.
Building Relationships through Effective Listening
John Panarese will address key skills in relationship building, including why people don’t listen, how to break the bad habits of responding before the other person has stopped speaking, and how we always learn more from listening than speaking. Participants will also learn the “Seven Deadly Sins of Speaking” and which ear is a better listening tool.
- John Panarese is the current Naperville Branch Manager of SCORE Fox Valley. SCORE is a national organization of volunteers dedicated to mentoring small business owners as well as start-ups. During his 35 years of professional experience, John worked for very diverse industries from Consumer Products to Home Health Care in the capacity of teaching people how to sell. One of the keys to success in this profession is the art of listening. Instructing individuals at a district, regional, national, and international level gives him a unique perspective as to why “soft skills” such as listening are so important to the success of a business owner.
Choosing a Retirement Solution for Your Small Business
Scott Miller will discuss the many benefits of a retirement plan for a small business, including helping attract and retain qualified employees, offering tax savings, and helping secure an owner’s own retirement. He also will explain IRA-based plans, defined contribution plans, and defined benefit plans. This workshop provides valuable information to any small business owner who is looking to establish a retirement plan.
- Scott Miller is a Senior Benefits Advisor in the Chicago Regional Office of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA). Since 2004, he has helped thousands of participants, beneficiaries, and benefit plan fiduciaries understand their rights and duties under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), which protects the benefits of workers and retirees in private-sector pension and welfare plans. Scott has also recovered millions of dollars in benefits owed to these participants and beneficiaries through informal dispute resolution. He has a B.A. in Politics and Economics from Lake Forest College and a J.D. and LL.M. in Employee Benefits from The John Marshall Law School.
Marketing Using Library Resources Part 1
Lindsay Harmon will discuss how entrepreneurs can use library print and online resources to identify potential customers in a sales territory, search for a list of prospective customers, and research demographic data for a market territory.
- Lindsay Harmon is an Adult Services Librarian and Business Services Team member at Naperville Public Library. Prior to joining NPL, Lindsay was the business librarian and a guest lecturer in the College of Business at Lewis University.
LinkedIn 101: Your Brand Depends On It
LinkedIn is not an option. But it can be daunting because it requires strategy in order to stand out from the crowd. Tajuana Ross will explain why the platform is so important, as well as three keys to remember while building a brand on LinkedIn.
- Presenter Tajuana Ross, “The LinkedIn Professor,” is the CEO of Get Over Yourself Career & Life Coaching, Inc. She teaches entrepreneurs how to monetize their brand in the emerging “gig economy.” .
Panel Discussion: All About Franchising
Moderator Gloria Spielman and a panel of franchisees from different industries will discuss the world of franchising and respond to questions. Glimpse a day in the life of a franchisee! Learn what a franchise is, what makes them different from other startups, what questions to ask a franchiser, what to consider when evaluating a franchise opportunity, and how to identify franchises that can meet your goals. Learn the steps to finding the right franchise for you.
- Moderator Gloria Spielman is a Franchise Placement Coach with The Entrepreneurs’ Source franchise, specializing in identifying the right franchise or small business opportunities that uniquely fit her clients. With more than 200 franchises that are actively looking for executive owners, and with a wide variety of clients who want to own a business without having to create, invent, or maintain every single aspect of that business, the Franchise Discovery Journey that a client goes through with Gloria is informative, enlightening, and always interesting. Finding the right fit in a maze of options and the information one needs to make an informed choice is complicated and can be fraught with frustration. Most future franchisees need a guide and a coach. Gloria works to match and fit her clients with the businesses that make the most sense for them.
- Panelist Pamela Bartlett is the Owner/Director of Fun at Pinot’s Palette in Naperville. She not only serves as owner, marketer, and operator of the paint-and-sip franchise, utilizing her networking, business management, people, and leadership skills but also gives back to the community by hosting fundraisers where free seats and paintings are given to local organizations. Bartlett’s franchise has received a number of awards, including Naperville Magazine’s Best of Naperville in the Entertainment Division, Glancer Magazine’s Reader's Choice Award for Customer Service, John Green Realtor’s Circle of Friends award for 2015 Local Business Excellence, and Pinot's Palette’s Smooth Strokes Award for a “smooth” grand opening and Golden Brush Award for top sales. Prior to owning Pinot’s Palette, Bartlett spent more than 25 years working in a business environment with experience in marketing, sales, database management, and social event management.
- Panelist Robin Helzerman is the Owner of Tutor Doctor Naperville. Tutor Doctor provides one-on-one, in-home, educational support by matching students with highly qualified tutors across all subjects and grade levels. Tutor Doctor was founded in 2003 in Toronto, Canada and opened in the USA in 2008. While Robin's professional background is in healthcare administration, she has always had an entrepreneurial spirit and has found a great passion for education by founding DuPage County’s first Tutor Doctor franchise. A busy mom, Robin is active in her the PTA, serving as Educational Enrichment chair for May Watts Elementary School, where she also serves as a Parent Ambassador to help new families get oriented to the school and local area. Robin lives in Naperville with her husband and 3 sons.
- Panelist Elliot Hershik is the General Manager of a Supporting Strategies franchise based in Naperville. Faced with another reorganization among other issue of large, multi-national corporations, he made the decision to take advantage of the early retirement program and leave to pursue his dream of owning a business.
- Working side by side since 2015, Elliot and his wife, Dawn, have built a successful business, winning accolades from the franchisor and outside agencies. They have a team of skilled, seasoned accounting professionals who provide efficient and effective bookkeeping, financial accounting, and operational support to growing businesses across a wide variety of industries and business models.
- Elliot brings his 30+ years of business experience to managing the day-to-day operations of the Supporting Strategies | Chicago Far West Suburbs office. A CPA certificate holder, Elliot’s expertise spans all aspects of bookkeeping and accounting services. He is also skilled in performance monitoring, accounts analysis and process improvement. Elliot has a B.A. in Economics from Cornell University and served in the U.S. Marine Corps.
- Panelist Katie Powell is the Owner of Expedia CruiseShipCenters, a full-service travel agency with more than 290 locations in North America. A Wisconsin native, Powell spent 11 years living in several states in the South while her husband was active duty in the US Army. After relocating to Naperville in 2014, we relocated to Naperville IL and bought their franchise. Since it opened in November 2016, Expedia CruiseShipCenters has grown to include more than 25 independent travel agents located all over the United States. Powell’s job is to recruit, mentor, and help her agents grow their business to the success level they desire. The agency has reached Star Among Your Peers status since it opened in 2016. In 2019, Powell was invited to attend GTM West as a top-producing travel agency. There, she was able to build relationships with more than 100 travel suppliers to further help her team grow their business and better serve their clients’ needs.
- Panelist Richard Ueberfluss served as Chief Operating Officer of Assisting Hands Home Care’s national office from 2016 to 2018 and was responsible for the general management of the company. His franchise experience began in 2008 when he became Assisting Hands’ Chicagoland franchise owner and area representative for Illinois and Wisconsin.
- Before Assisting Hands, Ueberfluss spent nearly a decade as an acute care hospital administrator. He was a Board Certified Orthopedic/Certified Manual Physical Therapist and spent almost 30 years in hospital, outpatient, sports and home health care. After realizing the limitations of physical therapy, especially on his elderly patients, he looked deeper into the home health care industry and found Assisting Hands Home Care.
- He received a bachelor’s degree from Marquette University in 1988. In 1996 he earned an MBA from Loyola University of Chicago. His ideas on caregiving, physical therapy, the elderly, exercise, chronic diseases, fall prevention and hydration are published widely and presented nationally.